Proofreading (Academic English Support)
◆ Important Notice ◆
The Proofreading service for the winter term will start on December 7.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, throughout Winter Term 2021, Proofreading sessions will be conducted online. Please see the Winter Term 2021 Proofreading Updates page (which can be accessed by clicking on the following link) for more details.
What is Proofreading (Academic English Support)?
- correcting errors in grammar, punctuation, spelling, and sentence structure;
- rephrasing sentences that sound unnatural;
- making suggestions to improve readability; and
- suggesting words and phrases to enable students to express what they wish to convey.
Both English and Japanese can be used in the sessions.
What does a proofread document look like?
Am I eligible to use this service?
What kind of work may be submitted for proofreading?
*The following documents may not be submitted for proofreading:
- Up to 1,500 words can be submitted for proofreading each time you book an appointment. (Please note that proofreading support is only available for documents written in English.)
- If you are submitting a document that contains more than 1,500 words, please highlight the 1,500 words that you would like to have proofread.
- Please submit a Google Doc wherever possible. You will be asked to grant edit access to your Google Doc when you make your booking.
- We will proofread the document that has been entered as of 9:00 am the day before the session. NOTE: If the session is on a Monday, the deadline for your manuscript is 9:00 a.m. on the Friday of the previous week. Please do not make any changes to your document after the deadline.
- Proofreading support is not offered for the Works Cited, References, or Bibliography section.
- Please use Grammarly to check your document before you book your appointment.
How can I book an appointment?
- Each session is 40 minutes in duration. You can reserve up to a total of two Proofreading (Academic English Support) and Writing Support Desk sessions at a time.
- If, for unavoidable reasons, you wish to cancel your appointment, please email the Center for Teaching and Learning (Writing Support) at email@example.com.
Other proofreading services
For students writing their senior theses, proofreading support is also offered via email.
Please see here for more information.
*The AY2021 service has finished.
- An email telling me about this service arrived in my inbox just at a time when I was being stretched to the limit both mentally and in reality by the senior thesis. I remember feeling somewhat heartened when I received the email—just to know that such a convenient service exists made me feel supported. It seems as if it was only yesterday that I received this email... Please continue to provide this service!!!! I think that the proofreading service is very useful for students working on their senior theses.
- This service greatly helped me in writing my senior thesis. Not only the comments and revised document that I was emailed at the end of each session but also the feeling of reassurance that came from knowing that I will receive guidance from a proofreader was very helpful. Instead of thinking “I can’t write in English very well... I find it hard to motivate myself,” I was able to think “I will just try and write something down and put into words what I want to say, and then I’ll go to CTL and work with a proofreader to revise what I have written.” This allowed me to write with much more ease from December onwards. Thank you very much.
- I used this service many times in the run-up to submitting my senior thesis. I found the service very helpful. Thank you!
- The proofreader went through my work very carefully; I found this helpful. Thank you very much.
Frequently Asked Questions are available here.
Center for Teaching and Learning (Writing Support)
Othmer Library 1F