Proofreading (Academic English Support)
◆ Important Notice ◆
What is Proofreading (Academic English Support)?
- correcting errors in grammar, punctuation, spelling, and sentence structure;
- rephrasing sentences that sound unnatural;
- making suggestions to improve readability; and
- suggesting words and phrases to enable students to express what they wish to convey.
Both English and Japanese can be used in the sessions.
What does a proofread document look like?
Am I eligible to use this service?
What kind of work may be submitted for proofreading?
*The following documents may not be submitted for proofreading:
- Up to 1,500 words can be submitted for proofreading each time you book an appointment. (Please note that proofreading support is only available for documents written in English.)
- If you are submitting a document that contains more than 1,500 words, please highlight the 1,500 words that you would like to have proofread.
- Please submit a Word document or a Google Doc wherever possible. (If you are submitting a Google Doc, you will be asked to grant edit access to your Google Doc when you make your booking.)
- Proofreading support is not offered for the Works Cited, References, or Bibliography section.
- Please use Grammarly to check your document before you book your appointment.
How can I book an appointment?
- Each session is 40 minutes in duration. You can reserve up to a total of two Proofreading (Academic English Support) and Writing Support Desk sessions at a time.
- If, for unavoidable reasons, you wish to cancel your appointment, please email the Writing Support Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Other proofreading services
For students writing their senior theses, proofreading support is also offered via email.
Please see here for more information. (This service is currently unavailable.)
There is also a proofreading service for science courses.
For details and to make a booking, please see here. (This service is offered by the Natural Sciences department.)
- An email telling me about this service arrived in my inbox just at a time when I was being stretched to the limit both mentally and in reality by the senior thesis. I remember feeling somewhat heartened when I received the email—just to know that such a convenient service exists made me feel supported. It seems as if it was only yesterday that I received this email... Please continue to provide this service!!!! I think that the proofreading service is very useful for students working on their senior theses.
- This service greatly helped me in writing my senior thesis. Not only the comments and revised document that I was emailed at the end of each session but also the feeling of reassurance that came from knowing that I will receive guidance from a proofreader was very helpful. Instead of thinking “I can’t write in English very well... I find it hard to motivate myself,” I was able to think “I will just try and write something down and put into words what I want to say, and then I’ll go to CTL and work with a proofreader to revise what I have written.” This allowed me to write with much more ease from December onwards. Thank you very much.
- I used this service many times in the run-up to submitting my senior thesis. I found the service very helpful. Thank you!
- The proofreader went through my work very carefully; I found this helpful. Thank you very much.
Frequently Asked Questions are available here.