For the purpose of generating more opportunities for students to engage with service and a rich experiential learning of liberal arts education, SLC has established the Service-Learning Scholarship from 2020 to students who are selected by screening. The scholarship will cover the travel cost, living cost, and the program fee (if applicable) during the SL activities.
This scholarship is funded by donations to the Service-Learning Center.
- Targeted students: approximately 10
- Amount of Scholarship: Approximately 80,000 yen to 400,000 yen per person
Domestic: Transportation fee and accommodation fee
＊Maximum payment: Tokyo metropolitan area: 80,000 yen, Other areas: 150,000
＊Rent for your apartment will not be covered.
International: Program fee and air fare
Costs borne by students: Visa application fee (if required), vaccine, insurance, stipends, other personal expenses.
Testimonials by past scholarship recipients
On the page below, you will find testimonials from past SL scholarship recipients.
Requirements for Applying for SL Scholarship
- To hold a strong will to utilize knowledge and experiences obtained from ICU for societies.
- To engage with promotion of service activities on and off campus as SL Ambassador after participating in the SL program.
- To have suffi cient potential to be able to do service activities on campus or in communities and to deepen refl ective and academic inquires based on what s/he learned from service activities.
- To have GPA of 2.5 and above.
Application and Screening
Application and selection process
- Deadline: Tuesday, November 30, 2021: check the box if students are willing to apply for scholarship on the “SL Application Form (p.65, p.67)” and submit “SL Scholarship Essay”.
- Saturday, December 11, 2021: Interview
- Late December - Early January : applicants will receive a notice of result from SLC.
- Explain the motives for scholarship application with other application documents. *must be diff erent from the essay for SL application.
- One-page essay on a A4-sized paper (800 words in Japanese or 450 words in English)
|Program||（a）SLC partner institutions||
（c） Programs hosted by ICU (JSSL)
|（b）Self-arranged host institutions|
|SL Scholarship||Apply||Not Apply||Apply||Not Apply|
|SL Application Form||English or Japanese||English or Japanese||English||English or Japanese|
|SL Scholarship Essay||English or Japanese||Not required||English||Not required|
|SL Application Form||English||English|
|ISL Application Essay||English||English|
|SL Scholarship Essay||English||Not required|
- There is no need for students to submit the proof of guardians’ income.
- If the student receives other scholarship, s/he needs to check if it is possible to apply for this scholarship according to the rules and regulations of the scholarship received.
- Students who received scholarship will make a report and present to the donor(s).